Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Dead Beat written by: Jim Butcher



The Harry Dresden series by Jim Butcher is one of my favorites, it’s so technical and detailed you can’t help but see and understand what world Mr. Butcher is trying to draw you into. I used to read the books, but soon discovered Mr. James Marsters read the unabridged versions of the books. I listened to the ones I had already read and fell in love. Mr. Marsters voice is just captivating and blends perfectly with the Dresden books. I recently finished listening to “Dead Beat” book 7 in the series. This book was fantastic! Every time I think I have figured out what is going to happen and what the choices the main character has made something changes or something from the past comes to the present throwing a monkey wrench in everything. Mr. Butcher continues to take his old stories and incorporate them into the present story layering event upon event. I Love the main character Harry Copperfield Blackstone Dresden. He’s such an ass with his humor and second rate accessories. It is another supernatural series, but unlike the other series I read the human/mortal world is still mostly blind to the supernatural and fights at every event to not see what is right in front of their faces. The way Harry lives in both the supernatural world and the mortal world is quite amusing, seeing as Wizards do not do well around electronics or anything that’s modern such as a microwave, toaster, and fates forbid a computer! I love the other characters who have been introduced over time as well, this latest book I just have to say I love the character “Butters.” After having seen the show SouthPark and falling in love with Butters in the show and then listening to this book and getting to know the Jim Butcher’s “Butters” I have to say, they’re both similar and oh so charming. Of course the other characters I have come to love are still there as are the ones I loathe and fear. Still for as graphic and at times just darn depressing this story has the same sarcastic dark/light humor that makes you just love the Harry Character. You feel as if you are standing by the side lines rooting for him the entire way. I am not saying the main character is without flaws he’s quite flawed, but it is his flaws that make him so real and relatable to. Of course at times you want to smack him upside the head and go "What were you thinking?!" Overall I cannot wait to hear the next book and listen to Marsters voice tell Butcher’s tale word by word in such a way you have to keep listening and be drawn further and further into the story until before you know it, the book has concluded and you’re hearing “You have just listened to…” Wishing you could pop the next book in. I am almost scared to hear/see what will happen to Harry in the future this series does not scream "And they all lived happily ever after." Still, this series has a special place with me as it is the only series I listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment