Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Barefoot Elin Hilderbrand



Picture a beautiful hot day in New England then enter three women that could be any three women.

 This book is written that most women I feel in their 20’s would feel like they are getting peak into their possible futures. Those in their 30’s and older can truly appreciate this book and relate to the archetypes; career woman, the mother, and the house wife all very common roles in life for women. It is interesting because once upon of time I thought mothers were all matronly, wore floppy hats, tended their gardens, had various craft projects, cooked meals, and minded their children. That has obviously changed over time, but I see a lot of young women doing these tasks and loving them. This book is written quite well and I am not quite sure how to explain the way it captures the life of these women on one particular summer. Though, I’m warning you ladies and men. At several points they say “wow they’re ancient, old, and way too old.” The oldest woman is 32! Now, I must say as I approach 30 I do not find it to be old especially compared to quite a few young 20 year olds.  I have to laugh at the younger 20 year olds in this book because I find myself relating to being in my mid 20’s and being smack dap in the middle of these characters ages relating to the young characters and to the older ones since I find myself approaching some of these life moments. The story itself shows that just because you’re out of your 20’s doesn’t mean you are old and wise. People are still growing and learning and trying to make sense of the world and their lives. There are points I felt very frustrated by the characters, but in a good way they felt so real, and the way they each touched their lives was very inspiring. The plot is not overly new, but the way it’s presented is rather fresh and the Josh character is very refreshing and could be the boy/man of many girls/ladies dreams. Overall, it is a great read on a summer sunny day out in the yard or on a sandy sunny beach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment