Thursday, October 4, 2012

Georgiana Darcy's Diary: Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice continued Written by: Anna Elliott



Well this was a right and proper book, it left me feeling very light and whimsical yes, whimsical just flowery even. I love the story of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy. The year is now 1814 and it is springtime at Pemberley. Elizabeth and Darcy have married, but now a new little romance is creeping up. This book does not replace or even copy Jane Austen's tale so much as grasp a piece of it and spin off on its own while still holding true to the original tale. This book doesn't even try to mimic Austen's writing instead she takes the voice of Georgiana Darcy and writes this tale in diary format. I find it very clever and brings me right back to that world Jane Austen created. Shy, Georgiana Darcy is content so it seems to be unmarried happily living with her brother and his new wife both of whom she adores, but is she? It seems Georgiana is in love secretly with one man whom she is convinced will never love her in return. Then you throw in all of the other classic secondary characters and some new even, and it becomes a grand ball of a time. This book was just agreeable a very pleasant treat and as I was reading I kept thinking to myself.. "wow imagine when women could easily go "I need this hemmed, taken in, mended etc..." And, could do it themselves in a day! I really liked Anna Elliott's book and her very successful attempt at continuing a story that on its own stands perfect, but with her book it allows us again to visit some old friends, and see how they've been doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment