Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Pride And Prejudice And Zombies Dawn of the Dreadfuls Written by: Steve Hockensmith

Why hello fellow book nerds. I do hope you are all doing quite well and enjoying a few last weeks of summer beach reading. I again have come back from a world so unlike the real one that I’m in a bit of culture shock again… Otakon what a trip! I barely had anytime at all to pick up this latest book, but thankfully was able to finish it once back into the normal world. Seriously, why can’t I see a pokemon or video game character walking around every day? Oh well… I must admit I’ve become quite spoiled with my E-reader that this recent book a friend lent me was almost annoying to read… why? Well the book is a paperback and the spine is so stiff and since they didn’t break or even bend the spine, well…I had to read it very carefully and whenever I didn’t hold the book open just right it would close! I sometimes forget why I usually tended to buy hardcover now I remember… okay so aside from that Dawn of the Dreadfuls is a prequel to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I’ve not actually had the pleasure of reading that novel. (Going to start reading today!) But, this was a rather fun novel if I do say so myself, which I do! The fact it takes place before Pride and Prejudice and Zombies makes me wonder just where that book will go seeing as the characters develop quite a bit in this novel. But, more on the book I just read… The lovely Bennet sisters from Jane Austen’s world are as usual enjoying a peaceful life as proper ladies of England do. However, aside from names, general behaviors, and the setting this book takes Austen’s world and just throws it into the belly of a rotting Zombie. The story really did progress well taking the Bennet sisters from their regular lives where their mother Mrs. Prudence Bennet in all her dramatic glory rules them to a wholly unconventional life where their Father Oscar Bennet now has say over all. Corpses are springing from the soft earth and a pact made long ago must be honored and that means the Bennet sisters are no longer to be English ladies but fierce warriors who must combat and kill the walking dead. Sadly though readers everyone is not happy that these gentile ladies would be forced to take up a sword or worse willingly chop the heads from the unmentionables… Of course our main heroine we follow is Elizabeth and her progression is quite interesting and only her verbal combat rivals the sting of her sword, but she also has to deal with emerging feelings for not one but two men a fierce warrior Master Hawksworth and a thoughtful Dr. Keckilpenny whom both would claim Elizabeth as her own. But, does love actually factor in here readers? After all there are hoards of Dreadfuls to be fought and slew otherwise all of England may soon fall. There are some comic moments in this writing readers and the humor though a bit gallows is quite fun to read alongside the terror of the walking dead. There are also some pretty cool illustrations in this novel that add just the right touch to the setting of the book. Overall Loved this book! I don’t know how Jane Austen would feel but I was definitely amused.

No comments:

Post a Comment