Friday, May 23, 2014

A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire Book 5) Written by: George R.R. Martin



Hola readers, que pasa? Phew, I made it! (SPOILER ALERT POST) A Dance With Dragons, the last available book! Oh My STARS! This finishing and catching up with all of my friends who are also Game of Thrones fans is bitter sweet... on the plus side I KNOW! Well, I know as much as they do, but now... NOW... I HAVE TO WAIT! AHHH!!!! I mean how this book ended is just... woah! Okay, settle... settle... settling... settled... BUT OH MY STARS! No wonder fans are so afraid Martin will pass on before he finishes this series, I've read a lot of books readers, and to have a series take so long to complete and to leave on such a cliff hanger, well that's just... woah. So it is obvious I enjoyed this book, I was a little afraid I wouldn't since I was told numerous times how the book backtracks quite a bit and tells a few stories over again, but honestly it didn't bother me at all, the only thing that bothered me was that there wasn't more. To be given so much plot and still have so many questions is well... Impressive. I listened to this book over 48 hours in total and Audible decided to go back to the original reader Roy Dotrice, which I was fine with I enjoyed the other reader, but Roy Dotrice is quite enjoyable though he changed a few of his female voices and sadly not for the better, but I tuned them out and pictured the TV series leading ladies and inserted their voices for my amusement, and that helped quite a bit. So, Martin once again transports us to his vast world. We are taken to the Wall, Across the Narrow Sea, Slavers Bay, And The North and South in the Seven Kingdoms. On the Wall the story is told from John Snow's point of view for the most part. And, SPOILER ALERT! Young Lord Snow has been elected the 998th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. But, John snow has many enemies and is playing a dangerous balacing act between his new duties, A Certain crotchety Baratheon first name Stanis and his party, the Free folk, and the rest of Westeros. It is a very dangerous balance Snow is trying to achieve and there's a lot that he has against him, but he is a strong character and is growing I think into a very mature and powerful person, but will he be given the chance to show everyone else this? Further North, Bran Stark (Almost a man grown, I get it already!) has finally been thrown a bone and it seems his journey or at least his present journey is at an end as he finds what he has been seeking, but it is a tad bitter for Bran and his party members. There's a lot of magic here, and oh boy I just might have a few theories about how Master Brandon Stark will be used, but Martin is keeping quiet... so quiet. Tyrion! There's a fellow who never keeps quiet, and it seems my beloved Tyrion has found himself located accross the seas and in the care of someone we are already acquainted with, no I'm not going to tell you, this journey though is not an easy one. Tyrion is suffering for his sins and it almost seems as if he is cursed, and when he begins to relax a little and dish out some rather well... maybe not quite wise advice. Tyrion is put into new hands that will take him on the seas and that too it appears is cursed and collar bound. Still Tyrion is crafty and it seems might be gaining allies and it seems is looking to support a certain Silver Haired Queen. In Bravos well... a girl once known as Arya Stark is training and readers... ew! I won't spoil this at all, but I so love Arya and she readers is a girl to be feared I can only imagine the woman she will grow into. Daenerys Targaryen, bestill my heart you are trying so hard. The mother or Dragons she last of the Dragons... or is she? Ruling Meereen is proving to be harder than conquering cities and Daenerys is rejecting her heart's desires in favor for peace and her floppy ears. Dani though a Queen and grown quite a bit has much to learn and with her Dragons growing bigger and more dangerous by the day will this mother be able to control her children and unite the seven kingdoms? There's a line of suitors going all the way to the seven kingdoms too readers and they're all determined to win or claim her hand....what a mess. I loved Dani's story and how her tale ended in this book.. well... AWESOME! But, a cliffhanger all the same too shrouded in mystery. Now, back to the more "Civil" world of the seven Kingdoms the North...Winter is coming and the armies of Stanis, Frey, and Bolton understand this perhaps more than most, and still these families including the Lanesters continue their war in many ways. Stanis readers knows about The White Walkers! Yet, he is still intent on conquering the 7 Kingdoms and taking his rightful place so he can save everyone... does anyone else see the fault here?!? Armies are fighting one another these men are dying and they are consuming food! Precious food! Food that will be needed during the winter and to fuel everyone if they are to survive the coming winter and perhaps... White Walkers? So much plotting and loss all over blood ties... makes you wonder why these families were ever given power to begin with. Theon appears again too readers and :shiver: he is a broken thing and twisted... his captor the Bolton's are even more twisted, and it seems coming apart at the seams. Quite a dark story this part of the tale. Cersei, my, my, my, how the crafty have fallen. I despise Cersei for all that she has done, but how she was able to manipulate so much and succeed in achieving so much power, I must admire that, but.... her fall, now that was something. The former golden Lioness is being made to pay and her claws just might be gone for good, or are they? This story was rough even having no love for Cersie I don't think anyone deserves that, but then again what she has done has sparked several wars and who knows how many have died because of this Queens greed? The trial for both Queens should be quite enlightening I think, especially since Cersei's first choice of a champion is still missing...her brother Jaime has vanished last seen with a certain Beauty Knight. Still, Cersei's new champion is shrouded in mystery which is impressive since they're over 8ft tall. These fights and the Game of Thrones seems so petty compared to the threat we the readers see coming, but the epilogue reveals so much about why these Lords and Ladies seem so bent on blood and destroying themselves and those around them, and oh readers, what an ending! Winter readers... Is Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment