Monday, July 16, 2012

You Better Not Cry Written by: Augusten Burrough



Augesten Burrough, your whit and depressing humor is so...relatable. It is July and for whatever reason America has this theme of Christmas in July, so I thought this book lent to me by my friend would be very fitting for this theme. I read Sellevision by Augusten before and so I was ready for the dark humor. I am not entirely sure how true this book is, but my gosh... if this is a semi autobiography I can completely understand Augusten's humor and how he writes. He even states there were warning signs as a child..."from the very beginning there had been warning signs...As a young child I had Santa and Jesus all mixed up. I could identify Coke or Pepsi with just one sip, but I could not tell you for sure why they strapped Santa to a cross. Had he missed a house?" This book takes us from Augusten's early childhood memories of Christmas, and I am surprised he managed to survive long enough to become a writer he almost didn't after a mishap with a wax Santa and thankfully a trip to the hospital. He clearly longs for something at an early age, but I admit I may have killed him were he my child, thankfully he did survive. This book is just so interesting and took me back a few times in inappropriate laughing and a few Oh snap moments. I got whip lash a few times with how fast we go through the timeline that is Augusten's life we catch a scene from one year and then boom we're 10 years into the future with only a taste of what occured at the end of that scene. This book is really a slap in the face as it is told, but it has a message and that message is under all those damn mind numbing songs, twinkling lights, greeting cards etc... there is something more when it comes to Christmas something what's truly important.

No comments:

Post a Comment