Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Night Eternal Written by: Guillermo Del Toro & Chuck Hogan


Soul Crushingly Fabulous! The end, the final part of the trilogy and all pieces of the puzzle finally fall into place.  This book was just well... dark and hope kept being ripped away. It was different than both the Strain and the Fall. Where the Strain lead us through the pure horror of all things that could be possible and turns vampires back into creatures of pure terror. Then the Fall took us into a more suspenseful epic tale where we had a glimmer of hope to prevent the end of the world we had come to know and basically love. Now, the Eternal Night shows us there is no hope, no light, and the book lacks a very special voice we all became so close to in the previous books. I was still slightly disturbed, scratch that, I was still very much horrified. But, this book and its world that Guillermo Del Toro & Chuck Hogan created is familiar to me. They did such a great job creating New York and then destroying it, making it the perfect place for a post Apocalypse base, and room for a new world order. Where the other books I sometimes found myself wishing to not turn the page fearing the oncoming  horror, I found myself like the characters having absolutely no choice but to go on.  It has been a long but beautifully executed Journey the authors have taken us on. The science and mysticism and pure faith that are in this book are at times simply exquisite. We lost some amazing characters in this book and all could very well have ended. I won't spoil the ending. I know most of you are thinking well..."We either win or we lose." But let's be honest this is Del Toro and Hogan and they're writing about humanity versus monster. Is there really going to be a clear cut winner and ending? I loved the Trilogy and now as I write this I find the echoes of the characters voices within my mind, and I wish them all the best of luck. It was refreshing to have a series where the vampires are not beautiful sadly tormented souls, but as what people of old world cultures believes them to be evil and just plain blood suckers. The Stigoi. I put this book on the shelf with its brothers, they are put on the shelf read, but not forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment